Wednesday, January 25, 2012

To "KARL" or not to "KARL"...?

Ready, set, blast off. The "KARL" line by Karl Lagerfeld officially launched this morning! There is no denying Karl Lagerfeld's legendary genius. He is "THE KING" among poppers in the fashion world. I have studied and watched his every move for over a decade now, so naturally the anticipation of his new line "KARL" has been intense for me. I hypothesized to myself... "Is he going to go the uber cheap and less quality route to reach mass markets?", "Will he go over the top with design and overprice it?", or "Will he label it with K's in an effort to separate himself from the Coco Chanel house name?".  I truly was hoping that this line would be collectively androgynous and timeless. That way if I were to... indulge.. in a piece or two (insert grinchy smirk here)... I could wear it with versatility for years to come. 

Fun tidbit about the launch of KARL: There was some controversy about Net-a-Porter's site crashing at the moment of launch this morning due to the immense amount of web traffic. A spokesperson from Net-a-Porter actually released a quote to reassure people that they had taken measures to be sure that this would not occur:

"We pride ourselves on meeting tremendous demand on a daily basis. Introducing a brand like KARL is likely to generate unprecedented traffic so we have strengthened the measures we take to protect against lapses in service and have high hopes that we will be able to provide a seamless customer experience for all those wishing to buy from the collection."

How insane is that?! After reading that quote this morning, I tried to relax, make my pot of coffee, bundle up on the couch with my MacBook, and calmly hop onto Net-a-Porter to check out the launch of the new KARL line. Not like another rabid dog like those you see in the scary lines at H&M when a designer collaboration launches.  Load, load, load. Boom, there it was... like a story being told... I was looking at  beautifully constructed pieces of art. I was pleasantly surprised that Karl designed right up my ally! Just for the record, my page loaded smoothly. Bravo to Net-a-Porter's tech team. 


My break down of the KARL line is this: The pieces are not too "label-y" and I don't feel like he got too wrapped up in branding every single piece of his collection. The designs are playful and feminine with a clear deliverance of a punk tomboy twist. He plays exactly to my style using soft silhouettes while incorporating leather, PVC and harder materials that inherently edge up the over all look. Presto chango... he got my everyday aesthetic down pat. I passed over some of the dresses, bags and tops with his illustrations on them as they were too faddish for my taste, but the more basic pieces I seriously lived for. My top picks are below. If there is one way to describe my recent choice color palette, I'd say: "black, white, and sequin." And well, that is pretty much the premise of the whole KARL line so I am drooling on my computer here while I write up this review. I am thrilled to see Karl make a straightforward, palpable line outside of Chanel and apart from the celebrity campaigns. It ignites the devotee of fashion in me to see one of my icons design a simple cohesive collection that evokes his talent for creating clean constructive garments. To me, this line embodies Karl's personal everyday tuxedo wear, mixed with biker chic, a splash of Michael Jackson's 80's sequins, and 90's unisex punk skater wear. All these things are my go-to's anyway! So to "KARL" or not to "KARL" ? I say yes.

x. juliana



Sabine Sequined Shorts: $270


If there is one piece I will be grabbing, it's this Blanca top. It so epitomizes my idea of the perfect white collared shirt. I am screaming inside. It's so sexy, edgy and classy all at once. I would wear this top with trousers like above, with biker shorts and high tops for a tomboy look, with a white lace skirt and nude pumps for an elegant lady like look, with distressed jean shorts and Lanvin flats in the summer for a lived in day look, or with leather pants to go for a full biker chic look. The ensemble options are literally limitless with this top. This is a must have for my wardrobe.

Sachi Pleated Faux Leather Skirt: $160
Sequined Poplin Collar: $175. Yep, I am gonna need all three of these.
Sless Denim Biker Vest: $540 First thought, I said to myself,  "Hmm.. a little Easter Bunny, meets biker, meets Pepto Bismol trimmed in leather? But I weirdly love this construction?" Then I scrolled to the image of the back of the vest and I died everywhere over the genius incorporation of leather. This piece is too full of personality to not love. I adore that Karl plays on the young juvenile side of femininity while still infusing some tomboy. I need this piece.


Eh, you either love PVC or you hate it. I became a PVC-aholic back when I bought my first pair of  Les Chiffoniers pants in 09' (the year the line debuted). My other two icons, Christophe Decarnin for Balmain and Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy made massive waves in the fashion world with their 08' and 09' Spring and Fall RTW collections. They both paved the road for a new way to incorporate these materials into a wardrobe without making an ensemble look trashy or cheap.  PVC, latex and leather started trickling it's way down into stores soon after in 2010 with the help of Christophe and Riccardo inspiring designers everywhere. Now we see it in Forever 21, Urban Outfitters, etc. Since I had always been attracted to tougher materials mixed with softer silhouettes, I jumped right into this "iffy" trend back in 09'. I am happy to report that it's here to stay now with Karl's reinforcement. 

57 comments:

  1. The Sachi Pleated Faux Leather Skirt is so cool and that pink vest is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could buy, own and wear all these pieces. The pink biker vest and the sequins items are my personal favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... well written about Karl:) He has his own style I think.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the Karl collection... its pretty close to the perfect collection, or what i would design if i could do it!

    xo

    Bang & Buck

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an award for you in my blog.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think his collection is pretty awesome, especially the sequin leggings and shorts :)
    Love Lois xxx

    http://lisforlois.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!!! so great clothes! I want it all:D great post!
    visit mein free time!
    http://mesmerize87.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it


    http://ninixnappy.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post is beautiful! follow each other?:X

    FashionSpot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the vest

    http://babyrouge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have always loved Chanel and Fendi, and KARL is just another fantastic collections by Karl itself. those leather sweaters and skirts are just fabulous =) I love your blog, all contents are amazing <3 follow me if you love to, and i’ll follow you back :)

    Letters To Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some pieces are too original for me...but I like Karl style!

    http://follementefashion.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I all the time used to study piece of writing in news papers but now as I am a user
    of web therefore from now I am using net for content, thanks to web.
    My website: click the following article

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this web page,
    and your views are pleasant designed for new users.
    My web page ... gambling cruise

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a pity you don't have a donate button!

    I'd certainly donate to this superb blog! I guess for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to fresh updates and will share this website with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

    My webpage ... MEDAL OF HONOR WARFIGHTER esp

    ReplyDelete
  16. For round facial shape, go for the drop earrings
    of Square, oblong, oval and rectangle shape. Tina Turner has earned the title The Queen of Rock 'n' Roll
    for her numerous awards and achievements in the rock music genre.
    Alessandra Ambrosio and Ashton Kutcher get cozy in a sultry campaign for Brazilian clothing label
    Colcci.

    Here is my blog - pronectar.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is Aсquire immediate Approаch to all
    of IWOΝ's games or can Pull in points to Unlock games one by one. This nexus has six pages to Go two or tierce floors at at one time or else of Focus on a unmarried flooring.

    Here is my page: game

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thеse highly trained Digital opрonents may be capable
    to perfοrm Rеceive in-gamе moderators
    so that game Act as will be monitored. thus, if the picture game dеveloper controls the stream of gгoss sales anԁ mіnuteѕ at all multipliсation, theу can Inѕure the ρocκet-ѕizeԁ ѕlіdeshoω and videos іn thе Ηub, уou
    maу ѕеe ѕomething you Likе.
    Do you Receive a the гesidential ԁistrict and sеνerаl attempts ωеre made tо Evolνe a Sсheme to Supplаnt the οfficial WON servers.


    Feel freе to viѕit mу webpаgе dameunlike.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. That outfit is so cute!!
    Much love,
    Wengie
    http://www.wengie.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm really loving the theme/design of your website. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility issues? A couple of my blog audience have complained about my site not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any tips to help fix this issue?

    My blog post: Sidney Crosby Authentic Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the page layout of your site?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect
    with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only
    having 1 or 2 images. Maybe you could space it out better?


    Also visit my website - Sidney Crosby Authentic Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read this paragraph i thought i could also make comment due to
    this sensible paragraph.

    Stop by my web blog :: mario Lemieux black Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have you ever considered creating an e-book or guest authoring on other
    blogs? I have a blog based on the same topics you discuss and would
    love to have you share some stories/information. I know my viewers would appreciate your
    work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an
    email.

    Feel free to surf to my site - Cheap Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  24. This design is wicked! You most certainly know how to keep a reader
    amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to
    start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Fantastic job.
    I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

    My homepage: Cheap Nike Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  25. My family members every time say that I am wasting my time here at net, except
    I know I am getting experience all the time by reading such nice articles.


    Also visit my web page :: Authentic Evgeni Malkin Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's truly very complex in this active life to listen news on TV, so I only use world wide web for that reason, and take the hottest information.

    Have a look at my web site; nfl jerseys cheap

    ReplyDelete
  27. This website was... how do you say it? Relevant!
    ! Finally I have found something that helped me. Thanks a lot!


    my web blog ... More hints

    ReplyDelete
  28. Excellent article. I am facing some of these issues as well.
    .

    Review my blog post :: Louis Vuitton Bags

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good day! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a
    community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.
    You have done a extraordinary job!

    my page ... Sidney Crosby Black Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have learn a few good stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting.
    I surprise how much attempt you set to make the sort of fantastic informative website.


    my weblog; Louis Vuitton Bags

    ReplyDelete
  31. This website was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something that helped me. Thank you!

    Here is my webpage; Louis Vuitton Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  32. May I simply say what a comfort to discover someone who really knows what they are
    talking about online. You certainly realize how to bring a problem
    to light and make it important. More people ought to read this
    and understand this side of the story. I can't believe you're
    not more popular because you most certainly possess the gift.


    My homepage: Wholesale NFL Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks you really understand what you
    are speaking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also seek advice
    from my site =). We will have a link change contract among us

    my weblog Kris Letang Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  34. WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for atonal

    My blog - Chaussures De Football

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yesterday, while I was at work, my cousin stole my apple ipad and tested to see if it can survive a 30 foot drop, just so
    she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now broken and she has 83 views.

    I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!


    Review my blog post; Abercrombie

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very energetic post, I loved that bit. Will there be a part 2?


    My blog; Michael Kors

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm curious to find out what blog platform you are working with? I'm having some small security issues with my latest website and I'd like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any solutions?

    Feel free to surf to my web-site Cheap NFL Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thank you so much, However I am encountering
    troubles with your RSS. I don't understand why I am unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody else getting the same RSS problems? Anyone that knows the solution can you kindly respond? Thanks!!

    Here is my web site :: Nike Air Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi! Quick question that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when browsing from my iphone4. I'm trying to find a template
    or plugin that might be able to fix this issue. If
    you have any recommendations, please share. With thanks!


    my blog post: Sac Guess Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  40. I think this is among the most significant info for me.
    And i'm glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The web site style is perfect, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

    Also visit my homepage ... http://www.explorethecapabilities.com/cheapjerseys.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for finally writing about > "To "KARL" or not to "KARL"...?" < Loved it!

    Here is my website: http://www.

    tedxyse.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any community
    forums that cover the same topics discussed in this article?
    I'd really like to be a part of community where I can get advice from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Appreciate it!

    My blog :: Michael Kors Canada

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks very interesting blog!

    Take a look at my web-site ... http://www.explorethecapabilities.com/abercrombie.html

    ReplyDelete
  44. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing
    this post and also the rest of the site is
    also really good.

    Feel free to surf to my website: Louis Vuitton Bags

    ReplyDelete
  45. Marvelous, what a web site it is! This blog provides valuable facts to us, keep
    it up.

    Feel free to visit my blog post - polo ralph lauren sale

    ReplyDelete
  46. Everything is very open with a really clear clarification of the
    issues. It was definitely informative. Your site is very helpful.
    Many thanks for sharing!

    Here is my web site: Fake Oakley Sunglasses

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi there, I enjoy reading through your post.
    I like to write a little comment to support you.

    Look at my blog ルイヴィトン

    ReplyDelete
  48. I am extremely impressed along with your writing talents as neatly as
    with the format for your blog. Is that this a paid subject matter or did you customize it your self?
    Either way stay up the excellent quality
    writing, it's rare to peer a nice weblog like this one today..

    my web blog エアジョーダン

    ReplyDelete
  49. I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!
    I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back down the road. All the best

    Feel free to visit my webpage; Michael Kors

    ReplyDelete
  50. It's nearly impossible to find well-informed people in this particular topic, however, you sound like you know what you're
    talking about! Thanks

    My homepage: wiki.ivy-tech.it

    ReplyDelete
  51. Have you ever considered writing an e-book or guest authoring on other sites?

    I have a blog based upon on the same topics you discuss and would really like
    to have you share some stories/information. I know
    my visitors would enjoy your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

    Feel free to visit my homepage: Boutique Air Max

    ReplyDelete
  52. You could certainly see your expertise in the work you write.
    The arena hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe.
    At all times follow your heart.

    My website - Air Jordan Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  53. Your method of explaining all in this paragraph is truly nice, every one be able to effortlessly understand it,
    Thanks a lot.

    Feel free to visit my web site Cheap Oakley Sunglasses

    ReplyDelete
  54. Thanks for your great post:).Love the fashion and style. hope to learn more from you! Little Black Dress

    ReplyDelete
  55. really cool, rocker-ish items there, love the leather look material on those items, nice picks there :)

    Check out my new inspiration post on a minimalistic bag collection!
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete